BREXIT AND THE PORT OF ROTTERDAM

On 14th September, Womble Bond Dickinson published an article which says that the Netherlands’ Ministry of Economic Affairs estimates that only 18% of Dutch companies have begun to prepare for Brexit.  On 11th September, the Port of Rotterdam Authority joined with the Dutch Food Authority (NVWA) and Stena Line to organise a press visit to the port to help engage and mobilise the remaining 82% of Dutch companies to address the practical impacts of Brexit.  The Netherlands is the UK’s biggest trading partner, with 54 million tons of which 40 million is shipped via Rotterdam.  UK trade occupies 90% of the freight capacity on Ferries and more than 55% of the short sea containers operating from the Port of Rotterdam.  Rotterdam estimates that approximately 35,000 Dutch businesses have no practical experience of making customs declarations, having traded only within the EU; and HMRC, estimates that there are 131,000 UK businesses in a similar position, including a significant proportion of SME.

https://www.womblebonddickinson.com/uk/insights/articles-and-briefings/brexit-and-port-rotterdam

https://www.portofrotterdam.com/en/news-and-press-releases/massive-interest-in-brexit-press-trip-organised-by-port-of-rotterdam

 

Author: raytodd2017

Chartered Legal Executive and former senior manager with Isle of Man Customs and Excise, where I was (amongst other things) Sanctions Officer (for UN/EU sanctions), Export Licensing Officer and Manager of the Legal-Library & Collectorate Support Section

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: