Ynet and others on 8th April reported that undercover Hezbollah operations in South America were uncovered in an extensive investigation by the US and Colombia.  It is reported that Hezbollah has a presence in the country under cover of a legitimate organisation called the “External Security Organization” (ESO), which is essentially Unit 910, Hezbollah’s foreign operations arm responsible for the 2012 terrorist attack in Burgas, Bulgaria and the attacks in Argentina during the 1990s.  The investigation identified commercial entities and platforms of which Hezbollah made use to cover-up its activities including drug dealing, selling and exporting stolen vehicles and money laundering; alongside the recruitment of locals for future terror-related activities.  The organisation established commercial entities dealing in textiles (including smuggling garments from Panama to Lebanon), the export of coal to Lebanon and the sale of meat.  80% of the income from these activities are said to be channelled through European banks on their way to Beirut and are used to support the terror organisation.  The remaining 20% are re-invested in Columbian and Panamanian enterprises.  In Australia, the ESO is designated a terrorist organisation and a government website calls it “the clandestine arm of Hezbollah.


Author: raytodd2017

Chartered Legal Executive and former senior manager with Isle of Man Customs and Excise, where I was (amongst other things) Sanctions Officer (for UN/EU sanctions), Export Licensing Officer and Manager of the Legal-Library & Collectorate Support Section

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: