On 13 August, the Global Initiative Against Transnational Crime published a report on criminal trends in the region, from kidnapping in Mozambique to arms smuggling in Somalia. This includes –
- insights into how arms smuggling networks may be transporting Iranian arms intended for Yemen to the Horn of Africa and beyond;
- how Kenya’s recent ban on the export of donkey skins to China, currently being challenged in the courts, may impact patterns of animal theft and cross-border smuggling in the region;
- stricter measures aimed at targeting illicit financial flows by UK regulators could have unintended impacts on Somalia, where remittance providers are key in providing cash flow to the country;
- how counterfeit and substandard hand sanitizers have flooded markets in eastern and southern Africa; and
- the trend of kidnappings affecting the business community in Mozambique.