An article in Insight Crime on 4 May outlined 6 ways in which it says the crisis is affecting organised crime –
- In places groups are becoming the de facto government or support system, earning kudos for providing aid;
- Providing a new black market for medicine and equipment;
- Political actors and government officials across the region have leveraged their positions to corrupt everything from national health systems to the processes used to dole out public works contracts and select attorney generals;
- More cybercime;
- Less human smuggling; and
- Less illicit drugs, with higher prices.
If you’d like to help to contribute to the cost of the new laptop and desktop I have had to acquire, now that I am 5,000 miles away from my originals – https://www.buymeacoffee.com/KoIvM842y