Insight Crime on 7th September published an article detailing how the US and Central American crime gang launder its illicit proceeds –
- stealing and reselling used cars has been one of the primary ways in which the MS13 launders money;
- investing in property continues to be one of the preferred money laundering methods for criminal groups throughout the region;
- many small businesses that had for years been extorted by the gangs were also being used to launder the gang’s money;
- loan sharking – lending money to individuals at very high interest rates, also known as “gota a gota” (drop by drop) — allegedly in co-ordination with Colombian organised crime groups; and
- through the official financial system, either by making small deposits into bank accounts, asking victims to make electronic transfers or through other financial intermediaries like Western Union.